Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Survived The War

OK! It isn't Valentines Day anymore.

Forgive me for not posting. I have been fighting a war the past week.
The battleground: my home
The army: my family
The enemy: the cold/flu/stomach virus

Battle #1
I woke up to the puking sounds of a 2 year old. I ran, half asleep, like a mad-woman, to keep Mu from puking on the wall, floor, toybox, etc. Only the bed and himself were covered.
Undress him, sponge him off, pull everything off bed, redress him, and make a pallet in the floor while I get new linens for the bed.
Before I could get the bucket for future hurling ready, the puking began again.
Undress, redress, new linens.
We caught it the next two times, but then he said, "I need to go sit on the potty."
HUH? This is my 2 year old who screams "NOOOO!" if you ask him to sit on the potty more than once.
I put him on, and the pooping began. And it went on and on and on. How could a 2 year old have that much sh**? I wondered.
I then thought about my next strategic move. Fluids. I must get fluids.
Knowing juice was bad and water was good, and also knowing he wanted nothing to come near his mouth, I said, "Do you want to make an icee?"
"YAY! Icee!" It was 5:40 am. I had been in battle since 2 am, and I got the great idea to make a damn icee.
This is no easy task. I have a Hawaiian Ice "shaver" which you must crank by hand. The kids love it, but when you have been cleaning poop and puke for 4 hours in the middle of the night, well....
So, he clapped and I cranked, then he knocked over the stool, and hubby came in the kitchen and said, "What in the hell are yall doing?"

Battle #2
Hubby stayed home from work that day because his arm was hurting, and he decided to allow me to sleep after battle #1. It was a good thing he decided to stay home because he began to have chills, cough and ache all over.
Mu, the 2 year old, started going uphill. He was as good as new that afternoon. I felt fine after a few hours of sleep..until I went to bed.

Battle #3
I began to ache and have chills that night and I had that "roller coaster" sleep where you feel like you are falling and wake up over and over again...I popped aspirin and rolled myself up in the heated blanket.

On day 4 I was fine, Mu was fine, G had not caught the germs at all, but hubby was not good. Battle #2 was not over. He continued to ache and cough, but after day 2 of being ill, he headed back to work.

Battle #4
We headed into the weekend, hubby was still not feeling his best but better. Then, G said, "My stomach hurts." She went to bed only to wake me up at 4 am with an aching belly. She said it wasn't nauseous, it just hurt. So, we got the corn bag (exactly what it sounds like, a cloth bag with corn inside. You heat it in the microwave and it works like a heating pad) heated it and put it on her stomach. In about 15 minutes, I heard puking sounds. Luckily, she is the healthiest of us all. After 1 puke and 1 poop, she was her old self.

I survived the war only to return to work to another war with my boss' boss...more about that later...
I must go watch the last episode of LOST....

7 comments:

Marni said...

Oh the joys... glad everyone is better!!!

Paula said...

Bless your heart...It's bad enough to have 1 sick, but 2,3,4,....oh my. big hug :) (with a face mask on, of course. lol)

Canadian flake said...

uughhhhhhh isn't it fun??? NOT!!

I am sick now and my son hasn't been at school since last Friday (today is Wednesday..lol)...

He is driving me nutso..lmao

Coffeypot said...

Hope everyone is on the permanent mend, now. In the bag of corn, is it shucked corn or still on the cob, and how do you keep it from turning into popcorn?

whatevergirl said...

Coffeypot-I knew you would be the one to ask about the bag of corn. How did I know that?
It is kernels of corn, special non-popping corn. I didn't actually sew them up in the bag so I am not sure what they look like or how they were chosen. Some people use rice bags, but it doesn't hold heat as well AND it can get moldy/stinky.
It is great for kids because my heating pad will burn the fire out of you if you aren't careful so I don't let them use that. The corn bag holds heat for a very long time and the weight of the corn is good for keeping it in place.

Coffeypot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Coffeypot said...

Maybe because I am corny, too?