Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Wish List

I don't mean to be a scrooge, but I am so tired of the requests for "just $5" for our Christmas party, decorations, etc. I have about 10 of those requests-you do the math.

I understand that it is Christmas, but I have 2 kids and G's birthday is this weekend. The requests at work really get under my skin. I asked that we just donate something to charity. They did a canned food drive, but then came THE email asking for a $5 donation for decorations and then a $10 donation for gifts for our bosses. THEN yesterday came the email stating that not everyone has contributed and "that really isn't fair". Ok, who asked me if I wanted to decorate or buy my boss a gift? I can do that on my own if I want to.

Again, I am not trying to be a scrooge, but let me just share a little story with you....

There was a lady who decided to follow her "charitable gifts" (that she donated for each person on her gift list) around the world to see if they were actually helping people.

Here is what she found:

$25 BOUGHT A BABY PIG FOR A FAMILY IN CAMBODIA
It became pregnant and they sold the tiny piglets because they needed the money so badly. With the money they are sending their daughters to school.

$25 BOUGHT A GOAT FOR A FAMILY IN SENEGAL
This almost single-handedly lifted a family out of poverty by providing nutritious food and extra income.

$50 BROUGHT CLEAN WATER FOR A FAMILY IN NORTH AFRICA
It is now piped into their house. This family had watched 4 of their children die because of the dirty water they drank. The mom smiled and said, "Maybe now, my children will live."

$100 STARTED A WOMEN'S SMALL BUSINESS IN INDIA
This woman was afraid her children would starve, but this contribution provided the training for her to do beautiful decorative stichery. Today, she able to support her family.

This $50 that I am asked to donate for decorations and gifts that will go mostly unnoticed by "rich" Americans seem so meaningless.

6 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Just say NO. And you can use the F word if you so desire.

I, too, got tired of the pimping at work and just told them to stay away. I promise not to go to your party that everyone is required to attend and I will not eat any of the food brought in for the party.

I was given a Turkey for Thanksgiving and for Christmas. I took them to the church – which I do not attend – so they could help feed the hungry. I do my giving in my way, not to help someone make brownie points with management.

Canadian flake said...

I agree with coffey...I would say NO too. It is your choice if you want to contribute or buy a gift for your boss...and they should be ashamed of themselves for trying to guilt you into it. I think the charity idea is better.

whatevergirl said...

Thanks. I already told them I would give, but next year I will just be a scrooge and tell them no that I do my giving in my way.
I told them no on the Easter party and I was labeled anti-social for awhile. WHATEVER!!

Electronic Goose said...

I understand your pain. Sometimes I feel like I'm just contributing more crap to people who already have too much crap.

CindyDianne said...

I am handmaking most of our gifts for giving this year. I am worried that people will think I am being cheap. These things are made with love, but should I make the stretch and buy them something? Always a dilemma.

whatevergirl said...

cindydianne---I much prefer hand-made stuff...I miss my aunt's homemade stuff...It is funny. She used to have to pinch every penny. Her husband passed away a few years ago and she remarried. Now she has money and she buys us nice gifts. I appreciate it,but i liked the homemade stuff....i think it is great that you are crocheting stuff...post some pictures