Friday, April 11, 2008

Meet my Cowboy


Isn't he a handsome fellow?
I took the kids horseback riding for Spring Break. I haven't been on a horse in almost 20 years, but I needed a change of pace, so I figured, what the heck!
As soon as I got beside this fella to mount him, he slapped me with his tail. I thought he was just swatting flies at first, but when I got on his back, he turned around and eyeballed me--just like he is doing here!
He figured I was no threat to him, so the whole ride, he ate all the foilage he cared for. The guide had told us to keep them from eating it on the way. Everytime I pulled the reigns and told him no, he shook me off and continued to eat.
Still, he was a pretty gentle guy. The only time he scared me was when we stopped at one point, and we were near a cliff. All of the other horses stayed toward the inside of the trail. Not him!! He headed for the edge, and I freaked!! I am so afraid of heights, and he knew it!
Other than that, it was an absolutely gorgeous enjoyable ride with waterfalls and breathtaking views along the way.
G was thrilled and talked about it the whole 2 hour ride home! She was great with her horse, Big Red, who seemed to enjoy her.
I won't describe how my butt felt the next day, but I will say it was worth it!

6 comments:

Marni said...

Let me know where you went -- I'd like to take Bug.

Coffeypot said...

Your horse was what is known as a 'bat horse.' You have to hit him between the eyes with a bat to get his attention and make him do what you want done.

Coffeypot said...

Oh! A cowboy is a person. You were riding a 'cow poney.' Sheesss, Girls!

whatevergirl said...

Marni-We went to Fort Mountain State park stables in Chatsworth, Ga. Not a bad ride at all!

coffeypot-He was so stubborn, they had a whip hanging off of him and they told me to use it if needed. BUT, I could just see him getting mad and throwing me off a cliff, so I left that alone!!

whatevergirl said...

Oh, my horses NAME was 'Cowboy'

Canadian flake said...

lmao very cute horse...sounds like you all had a blast.