Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Kid Nation

My 7 year old and I have been watching a new reality show, Kid Nation. Have you seen it? 40 kids (ranging from ages 9 to 15) for 40 days, left in an "abandoned" town to figure out things on their own. Of course there is adult supervision, but they have to sort pretty much everything out themselves, choose leaders, decide who does what, etc. The kids can choose to go home anytime they like.

The first thing that struck me was WHAT were these parents thinking? I am sure they have strict adult supervision, but you don't know these adults from Adam!! Just because they are on TV doesn' t make it ok.

But the second thing that struck me was how well these kids worked things out. They identify a problem, meet and work out a solution. Sure, some of them argue like crazy, but they speak their mind to each other. It is quite refreshing. There are no politics.

At every town council meeting, they give away a gold star, worth $20,000 to one of the members of the town. The 4 leaders have to choose this person. They do a great job of picking out who works the hardest, leads the best, comforts the most, etc. Again, there are no politics.
It actually works pretty much like it should work.

These kids are open and honest with each other. If they don't like something, they speak their mind. If they want to cry, they cry. If they want to hug somebody, they hug somebody.

In a time of extreme PC, it is amazing what we adults could learn from these kids. Check it out Wed. nights at 8 on CBS.

4 comments:

Marni said...

We love the show. The kids and I watch it every week and it opens a world of discussion between us.

I always ask them "How do you think YOU would have handled that situation."

I think it is a great show for kids. Would I allow my kids to do it? Probably not, but kudos to those kids on the show. They are showing how they can handle adversity. It is nice to see that not all the kids in this world are selfish or hell bent on killing themselves or someone else.

Maybe there is hope for our country's future?!

Marni said...

And we all agree that Taylor is a B.R.A.T!!!!!!!!!

CindyDianne said...

I haven't seen it, but I may have to check it out.

Thanks for stopping by my place in the blogosphere!

Canadian flake said...

I watched a bit of it once but I work nights and it didn't really interest me enough to set the timer on the VCR for it...maybe I didn't check it out enough....